Medulloblastoma with Metastasis and Social Security Disability

Each and every year the SSA is overwhelmed with millions of claims for disability benefits from disabled workers who are no longer able to maintain full-time employment due to the limitations their disabilities place on them. This year will be no exception to that rule. Unfortunately the majority of claims filed are denied during the initial stage of the application process. This results in the need for a disability appeal – a process that can take more than two years to complete. Fortunately the SSA has recognized the fact that some individuals cannot possibly wait years or even just months for an approval of their disability benefits. As a result, they implemented the SSA’s Compassionate Allowances program. Under this program, an eligible applicant may be awarded benefits in a matter of weeks. Medulloblastoma with metastasis is one of the conditions that have recently been added to the SSA’s listing of qualifying Compassionate Allowances conditions. If you have been diagnosed with this condition and want to know how you can obtain disability benefits more quickly and with less hassle, the following information will help.

Medulloblastoma with Metastasis Condition and Symptoms

Medulloblastoma is a brain tumor that originates in the cerebellum or posterior fossa of the brain. This type of tumor is very aggressive and highly malignant. By the time this type of tumor has been diagnosed, it is not uncommon for it to have metastasized to other areas of the body.

While medulloblastoma is rare, accounting for fewer than 2 percent of CNS malignancies, this particular type of tumor accounts for approximately 14.5 percent of newly diagnosed brain tumors. Symptoms of the condition will vary depending on the area in which the tumor started and where the cancerous cells have spread to.

It is thought that symptoms of this particular cancer do not present themselves until approximately one to five months after the cancer has developed. Symptoms are often a result of secondary intracranial pressure. Common symptoms of this condition include listlessness, vomiting, recurrent morning headaches, mobile impairment and cranial nerve palsy.

The exact cause of medulloblastoma has yet to be determined. It is thought that the condition may be linked to immature or embryonal cells during their early stages of development. Researchers also believe that the condition may arise from cerebellar stem cells that have not been able to divide properly into their normal cell types.

Filing for Social Security Disability with Medulloblastoma with Metastasis

Each and every year the SSA only approves approximately 30 percent of the disability applications it receives. The remaining 70 percent of applicants must join the already-backlogged group of disability appeals in order to obtain disability benefits in the future. Unfortunately, the disability appeal process can take years to complete.

The SSA has recognized that some applicants, including those who have been diagnosed with medulloblastoma with metastasis, cannot possibly wait years for benefits to begin. As such, under the Compassionate Allowances guidelines, these individuals may be able to qualify for benefits in a matter of weeks.

It is important to note, however, that just because you have been diagnosed with a Compassionate Allowances listing, this does not meant that you will automatically qualify for disability benefits from the Social Security Administration. While it is not common for the SSA to deny claims that are based on a Compassionate Allowances listing, it has been known to happen. This is usually due to improperly completed claim forms or a lack of sufficient medical evidence.

If you want to increase your chances of receiving expedited approval under the Compassionate Allowances guidelines, you must be sure to fill out your claim forms properly and provide the SSA with enough medical evidence to support your case.

Medulloblastoma with Metastasis and Your Social Security Disability Case

If you have been diagnosed with medulloblastoma with metastasis and would like to receive Social Security Disability benefits, it may be in your best interests to enlist the help of a disability attorney. A disability attorney will understand how your claim forms should be filled out and what evidence the SSA will need to see in order to approve your claim. If, for some reason, your initial claim for benefits is denied, your attorney can ensure that your claim is given priority attention under the SSA’s Compassionate Allowances guidelines so that you do not have to wait years for benefits to be approved.