Since May is Lyme Disease Awareness Month, this would be a good time to discuss how to apply for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) if you are suffering from Lyme disease. While the illness is not unheard of, many people don't really understand just how debilitating it can be and how frustrating it is to live with the effects of the condition.
The Social Security Administration (SSA) receives millions of disability claims each and every year. Of these claims, only about thirty percent are approved during the initial stage of the application process. The remaining Social Security Disability applicants must undergo a lengthy and complex disability appeal process in order to obtain the disability benefits they may be rightfully entitled to. The question is, why are so many more people receiving Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits than ever before?
Each and every year the Social Security Administration (SSA) receives millions of claims for Social Security Disability benefits. Many people are surprised to find out that the majority of these claims are actually denied by the SSA. In fact, only approximately 30 percent of the disability applications are approved during the initial stage of the claim process. The remaining 70 percent of applicants must pursue the disability appeal process in order to obtain the benefits they need.
One of the more common questions asked of Social Security Disability representatives is “Are my SSDI payments taxable?” The answer, quite simply, is that it depends on your total income. For most people, if Social Security Disability benefits payments represents your only income, you will not be subject to federal income taxes.
With enrollment in Social Security Disability programs skyrocketing, and the Social Security Administration (SSA) staring down a potential solvency crisis in as little as seven years, every little bit of money the SSA can save, they’re going to save. Phasing out paper checks for Social Security Disability benefits is expected to save the SSA a hefty one billion dollars over the course of the next ten years.